Thursday, February 21, 2008

Shark Infested Waters

House Hunting! This is a scarey yet exciting event. I think I get excited looking at the different property websites and then realise I am looking at houses WAY out of our price range. But there are some properties that sit there not selling that look really good....but why aren't they selling? I am told it is definitely a buyers market at the moment which is good, but we do have to sell a house before we can buy another one!
It's the real estate agents that put me off, I really appreciate the ones that show me through, give me a call a couple of days later and then leave me alone. I think they are hard to find. If it's a buyers market I bet we will be like the fresh meat being thrown into the shark infested sea, the real estate agents will be fighting for a piece of us!
Anyway we are viewing our first property tomorrow so wish us luck!

8 comments:

Bramwell said...

who is telling you it's a buyers market?? obviously the real estate agents! It's the worst time in about 5 years to buy a house - the market has flattened, which is why there are few sales, mortagee sales are appearing and interest rates are still high. sit on your hands for 18 months and you'll be sweet x

Nicki Natter said...

I know interest rates suck!! What I meant is that there is quite a lot of negotiating power on the buyers side, because houses aren't selling well at the mo.

michael bucksmith said...

hi nicki - man so glad to find your site. it looks very nice!! glad to hear your are, all in all, well. Beth looks cute as heck as does Dave.

I'f you don't mind, I'll link you on m'blog.

Take care - Michael Bucksmith

Special K said...

i agree with big sister. wait a bit.

Nicki Natter said...

We are already paying high mortgage rates, unfortunately Dave's mortgage came up for renewal at the wrong time!! So it's just whether we continue to pay high rates on a house we don't want to live in or pay them on a house we want to live in.

michael bucksmith said...

go for the house you WANT to live in, if you'll pardon my advice!!

Michael Bucksmith :)

Bramwell said...

aside from the rates, you'll lose out on capital as the market is flat/dropping. You could sell the whitby house and not have a mortgage on the Masterton one? Then simply rent in wellington for a year until the market gets it's act together. or suck it up and live in Whitby! xx

Nicki Natter said...

We may live in the Whitby place yet. It will depend on whether we get a good price for Whitby or not. If we can't sell it for what we want we will live in it. Nothing is in concrete. We are still working through the figures.