Monday, March 17, 2008

Murphy's Law


I have been training for the last couple of months to run the 10km Round the Vines race in Martinborough on the 16th of March. The training went really well with both mum, dad and Dave looking after Beth at various times so I could run off to pound the pavements. I felt well prepared....


However over the last week or so Beth has been unsettled some nights, I thought she may be teething, but who knows? No teeth yet anyway. So you can imagine my dismay when she decided to have an unsetted night, the night before my race! Dave did his best to shoulder the load of getting up to appease the beast, but as every mother knows you can't sleep through your child's crys, as much as you may want to!!!


Then just to top things off my body decided to throw the monthly curse at me! I had a decision to make, do I take up the foetal position and whimper beneath my duvet deciding bed is a better option for the day or do I crush Murphy into the ground as I get up and prepare for the event I have been training so hard for? You know me.....


So as I took my place at the starting line I looked around wondering if anyone else had had 5-6 hours of broken sleep and had breast fed twice already that morning?!?


I was still determined to achieve my goal of running it in under an hour and.....I did!! 56 mins and 29 sec to be exact! Take that Murphy!


Special thanks go out to my lovely husband who did star jumps and shouted encouragement in the middle of the Martinborough School field (by himself!) and then proceeded to run 300m beside me (pushing the stroller) telling me I was almost there. What support! Though he did complain later about having sore legs...

4 comments:

Special K said...

wow - you are my hero Nicki bramwell-cooke. that is TRULY impressive. I hope you had a good bra on! k x

gerli said...

Good on you Mickey! You are one inspiring woman!

Nicki Natter said...

Oh yes! The girls were firmly fastened!

Sally said...

Have finally found the time to read your blog. I am still trying to stop laughing at some of the entries...especially the duvet cover. I must say in Dave's defence, that when we were growing up this was the way we were taught to change the duvet cover!!! My son, Simon (17) does it exactly the same way, however his rear end view is not quite as large as his uncles!!!